Wearing a matching outfit must be something you want to cross off your bucket list and this post can help you do it effortlessly and perfectly.
For those who are not familiar with matching outfits, I can tell you what exactly matching outfit is, why do people wear them, and when is the best time to wear it.
And for people who understand the concept of matching outfit, you will learn how to wear matching outfit easily in this post.
Alright, let’s check them out!
What is Matching Outfit?
Let me give you a simple example to help you understand what a matching outfit is.
The classic example of matching outfit is Twin Look. Twin look is a fashion term that means two people wear identical clothes or very similar clothes whose detail is slightly different, which looks like twins.
And you know what? They don’t necessarily have to be the real twins. Even if they are strangers, it is the way they get connected. Not to mention the couples, friends, and families.
If you and someone you love wear the same or similar T-shirt and Jeans, or whatever, you guys are wearing a matching outfit.
Besides, there are several different ways to wear matching outfits and you will learn more about it later in this post.
Why Do People Wear Matching Outfits?
Matching outfit is a part of fashion and it is undeniable that fashion has a lot to do with psychology.
The secret a lot of people don’t know is what you wear can change your thought, your character, even your life unconsciously.
What I wanna say is the main reason why do people wear matching outfits is that it can make relationships better and deeper.
Let me show you the benefits of wearing a matching outfit and you will understand what I mean…
- It is a fun and cool thing to do with someone you love.
- It is a way to make memories.
- It improves people’s relationships.
- It shows how great their relationships are.
- It is a goal that people who are in certain relationships want to achieve. (couple goals, family goals, best friend goals, etc.)
If you are pursuing a higher level of relationship, I highly encourage you to do this, and don’t worry because I will help you.
When is the Best Time to wear Matching Outfit?
Any outdoor activity is good for wearing a matching outfit. Also, it will be nice to wear a matching outfit and take pictures if you want to make the day more memorable.
Here are more specific examples:
- Outdoor Activities: Travel, Picnic, Shopping, Watching sports games, Going to the beach or theme parks…
- Special Moments: Date, Anniversary, Valentine’s Day, Holidays like Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas…
- Taking Pictures: Family photo, Social media photo…
By the way, you can always enjoy wearing a matching outfit no matter how old you are. I saw a lot of old couples having fun wearing matching outfits!
How to Match the Outfit?
In this section, I will show you 6 different ways to complete your matching outfit. All you need to do is choose one of them and use your creativity to create the look.
Also, if you want to skip thinking by yourself, I have links for you to get the matching outfit directly.
Alright, the first one is…
Match The Style
Matching the style means you guys don’t have to wear exactly the same clothes, you just need to wear the outfits that have the same or similar vibes.
Here are some style and matching outfit ideas:
- Cute: Graphic T-shirt, Mini Skirt, Two Piece Sets…
- Girly: Ruffled Clothes, Puff Sleeve Clothes, Flared Skirt or Dress…
- Sexy: Crop Top, Slit Skirt or Dress, Bodycon Dress…
- Sporty: Sweatsuit, Leggings, Sneakers…
- Vintage: Flannel, Baggy Pants, Flared Jeans…
- Chic: Leather Jacket, Pointed Toe Heels, Ankle Boots…
- Casual: T-shirt, Hoodies, Jeans, Sneakers…
- Formal: Shirt, Blouse, Blazer, Slacks, Suit, Midi or Maxi Dress, Pencil Skirt, High Heels, Loafers…
Match The Color
Matching the color is one of the easiest ways to have a harmonious look which is the key to a matching outfit.
There are 4 easy ways to match the color:
1. Use exactly the same color
2. Use the same color with different shades
- Khaki & Brown
- Light Blue & Navy
- Powder Pink & Hot Pink
3. Use the colors with the same tone
- Neutral colors
- Pastel colors
- Neon colors
4. Use the Classic Color Combination
- Black & White
- Red & Black
- White & Blue
Basically, Black and White match all the colors, so you can try different colors with them as you want.
Also, it’s better to use 1~3 colors (no more than 3). Otherwise, it will look unorganized.
Match The Pattern
Matching the pattern usually catches people’s eyes easier and makes a strong impression on them. It’s nice to try if you wanna get some attention.
There are some classic patterns you guys can try:
- Polka Dot
- Print (Graphic, Logo, Animal Print, Floral Print, etc.)
P.S. If you don’t wanna stand out, you can wear a plain matching outfit that looks simple yet stylish.
Match The Fabric
Fabrics are like humans. Each fabric has its own character and that’s why matching the fabric is a good way to express yourself.
These are the iconic fabrics and how they look:
- Leather: Chic, Cool, Tough
- Velvet: Noble, Fancy, Formal
- Linen: Minimal, Clean, Comfy
- Corduroy: Vintage, Warm, Casual
- Denim: Casual, Trendy, Relaxed
- Chiffon: Feminine, Fairy, Graceful
- Lace: Feminine, Delicate, Elegant
- Silk/Satin: Noble, Sexy, Classy
Match The Item
If you don’t want to think too much, you guys can just wear the same or similar items, which saves you a lot of time and energy.
These are the items that are good to start:
Match The Brand
If you guys are a fan of certain brands, it’s good to match the brand because each brand has its unique logo, color, and style. And your matching outfit will look way more fashionable than others.
Even if you guys just wear the same Gucci Belts, it’s already a matching outfit!
Before you guys buy the matching outfit from the brand you chose, make sure that the clothes are easy to recognize by the logo, color, or style. Otherwise, it’s not gonna look like a matching outfit.
These are the brands that have distinguishing characteristics:
- Streetwear Brand: Supreme, Comme des Garçons PLAY, Drew House, Kappa
- Shoe Brand: Converse, Vans, Timberland, Dr. Martens, Onitsuka Tiger
- Sports Brand: Nike, Adidas, Fila, MLB
- Outdoor Clothing Brand: National Geographic, The North Face
- Lifestyle Brand: Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Lacoste
- Designer Brand: Alexander Wang, Yohji Yamamoto, Thom Browne
- Luxury Brand: Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Gucci
Those are the tips about how to wear a matching outfit.
Leave a comment and let me know which tip you like the most and why you like it. Also, I will appreciate you so much if you share with me the idea that is related but not in this post.
Hope this post is helpful to you. Please share if you like it!